Dog Tuxedo Vest Pattern
Hi friends and followers, we are here again. For this Christmas we propose an elegant tuxedo for male dogs that we will present in two parts. This is the first part consisting of a simple dog tuxedo vest. For the second part we are preparing a tuxedo jacket to combine with the vest.
The tuxedo is a pattern that you have asked for many times and it is perfect to wear in Christmas and to attend celebrations, galas, weddings or special parties.
I have decided to present in two parts because in this way you have two options to dress your dogs, cats and small pets. Those who prefer an easy model can simply make the vest, because as you can see in the following pictures of Tara she looks great with her vest. And for those who seek something more complete you can add the jacket, this way you get a full tuxedo suit for weddings or required etiquette events.
Here some pictures of Tara wearing her smoking vest:
Patterns are 3:
Vest: cut two opposite.
Collar: cut 2 opposite 2 times, (total 4 pieces because it goes double). If the fabric is too thin you need to cut two more pieces of interfacing.
Bow tie: cut 2 equal rectangles.
For the collar I used a fairly stiff cotton fabric so have not needed to use interfacing.
For the bow tie I used synthetic satin fabric. You can make a funny bow tie with cute fabrics.
Also for the vest I recommend use slightly stiff fabric in grey or black.(Better if it has a little glitters like mine)
TIP: You can also recycle an old tie fabric to make the bow tie or even the vest in small dogs.
HOW TO SEW THE VEST STEP BY STEP:
1. Sew the center seam of the vest and finish with zig zag stitch to prevent fraying.
2. Sew zig zag stitch all around the vest raw edge except for the collar line. Fold the hem allowance inside and iron. Sew a overstitch all around the edge.
3. Sewing the shirt collar. Place two collar pieces with right sides facing together and sew all around, except the part that goes attached to the vest.
4. Do not forget to make a small cut where indicated in the picture above.
5. Cut corners of seam allowances and turn the collar right side out.
6. Attach the collar to the vest. First attach the inner layer of the collar to the cest and let the other layer loose. Place as seen in the image below. Sew a seam and finish with zigzag stitch.
7. Now sew the outside layer of the collar.
Fold this layer inwards, and place just covering the seam line as shown in the animated picture below and edge-stitch:
It will look like the picture below.
8. Iron and edgestitch all along the outer edge of the collar.
Repeat steps 3 to 8 with the other piece of the collar.
9. Sew the velcro at the ends of the shirt collar.
10. Sew buttons.
SEWING BOW TIE STEP BY STEP:
Disclaimer: This is a fairly simple way to make a bow tie but there are many more.
1. Place the two rectangles with right sides facing together.
2. Sew the hem all around but leave open a little opening. Finish with zig zag stitch.
3. Turn right side out and iron.
4. Sew hand (or machine) to close the little opening.
How to make the bow tie strip (you can also buy satin ribbon):
1. Sew a strip folded in half lengthwise and overlock.
2. Turn right side out and iron.
3. Sew like a ring and finish with zig zag stitch. Cut out the excess if needed.
4. Turn inside out to hide the seam.
5. Finally, pass the bow tie through the ring. And you are done!
Sew the bow tie at the base of the vest collar and ready !!
DOWNLOAD THE PATTERNS in pdf below:
Please note that: the largest patterns are split into 2 or more pages,have to print and cut out and join them together to get the entire pattern.
Important: please read this before printing the patterns: